Symptoms of Illness

Some plants are poisonous to cats in their entirety; others are only parts poisonous. Of the hyacinth and the daffodil, for example, mainly, the bulb is toxic and, therefore, not such a great danger for domestic cats. Of the azalea, especially leaves and flowers are toxic.

Lilies as a whole are very poisonous and most dangerous for cats. A little licked pollen that has ended up on the coat by walking along the stamens can be fatal! Precisely what kind of poison it contains hasn’t been found out yet, but shortly after ingestion, it causes disease symptoms in the cat: vomiting, getting drowsy, and not wanting to eat anymore. In that period, the kidneys are affected, and without proper treatment, by the vet, the kidney function will give up within 36 to 72 hours.

Oleanders are also very toxic plants and can be life-threatening when ingested. Fortunately, their taste is very bitter, so most cats ignore the oleander. In most cases, disease symptoms will consist of vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps.

Some plants, such as ivy, irritate. This can cause the mouth to swell and the tongue to feel painful. Fortunately, plant poisoning is rarely observed in the practice of the veterinarian. However, one reason for this can also be that the owner has not seen that the cat has eaten from plants. Making the diagnosis is very difficult.

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top