Even if a plant is harmless, eating it can be dangerous if it has been sprayed with pesticides. The plant may have also absorbed artificial fertilizers through the soil. Therefore, do not use artificial fertilizers or pesticides in the part of the garden where the cat walks.

Even more dangerous than pesticides are snail pellets. This contains metaldehyde, a substance that works on the nervous system. Cats become disorientated, drool, and are extra sensitive to sound. Unfortunately, cats like the taste of it, so they enjoy smothering it. In veterinary practice, it is reported that cats die from this. So try to avoid the use of snail pellets and look for safer alternatives, such as using copper wire or tape around plants (trays).

In addition to plants, plastic knives, and pesticides, many other substances, or food that is harmless to humans, are toxic to cats.

Toxic substances and foods for cats

  • Adder bite
  • Alcohol
  • Allium varieties (garlic, leek, onion, shallot, etc.)
  • Antidepressant
  • Antifreeze
  • Avocado
  • Blue-green algae
  • Caffeine (coffee, tea, cola)
  • Chocolate
  • Diet pills
  • Cancer medication
  • Artificial fertilizers
  • Mouse and rat poison
  • Cleaning products (pay attention to leftover dishwashing)
  • Slag pellets (metaldehyde)
  • Various mushrooms
  • Food supplements (Vitamins, Minerals and/or Nutrients)
  • Xylitol (sweetener)
  • Permethrin – anti-fleacial for dogs
Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top